Monday, February 3, 2020

Light Experimentation - Part 1: Conceptualization

After deciding on my course of action and gathering feedback on how to improve the pre-sleep experience, the first product I decided to explore is the pulsing light.

Things to consider after discussion with focus group:
  • The pulsing rhythm needs to be faster
  •  Is it possible to create hypnotising light/ visual effects that can be projected onto walls / ceiling to create a soothing ambience?
  • Is it possible to create water ripple visual effects to match the sleepy app water drops music?
I was doing my research on hypnotic effects and came across Shy lights by Studio drift. The effect is beautiful, I am still thinking how I can incorporate kinetic movements to the pulsing light.

Last year I was pondering about how to create calming water effects but I was still exploring the pulsing effect at that time. I decided to look into it this semester and see if I can combine the water effects with the pulsing light to create a hypnotic ambient. I did some research and came across Ripple by Poetic lab.

Their water ripple effect is achieved with 1 spinning small glass crystal and 1 large crystal. I thought of purchasing them and see if I can test with the pulsing light installation but the price is super scary (smaller set is 8,000usd+) and I wasn't sure if I can convert the light to pulse. I also didn't reach out to Poetic Lab as I have only less than 1 month to the experience testing, given more time I would be glad for a collaboration if they were to be keen for this sleep project.

Aside from the water ripple effect, I was still very keen on the kinetic / hypnotic effect. I was thinking if I could combine Changi Airport's Kinetic rain with the ripple effect.

I came up with this rough sketch of a kinetic hanging lamp.

Rough sketches to gauge size and how many water droplets I need to make. I didn't want the hanging lamp to be huge but we were worried that just 2-3 small droplets will not be able to create the effects and ambience. We tested with 1 crushed water bottle before and the effect is minimal. We will scale down on the set-up size and number of droplets when we test for the effects.
In order for the water ripple effect to take place when the droplets are in motion (up and down), the water droplets need to have uneven surfaces
Liquid light by Tanya Clarke (Left) and icicles structure for inspiration
Lights by Caleb Siemon and Carmen Salazar

I started to brainstorm for ideas on how to create these glass crystals. I have contacted some glass artists in Singapore and will be meeting them to see if we can produce these uneven surface water droplets.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig