Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Light Experimentation - Part 2: Sourcing

I got in touch with glass artists in Singapore to see how I can create the uneven surface water droplets after I decided to try creating a kinetic hanging lamp that can produce water ripple effects.

I visited Jane at Art Glass Solutions to see if its possible to create the uneven surface. She mentioned that this is done using hot glass technique and it is not easy to create the uneven surfaces. She mentioned that she can help me experiment for a $300 flat fee but there is no guarantee that it can work. She happened to be working on her glass when I visited and I was lucky to get a glimpse of it.

I visited Sock Fong at Art Glass Centre, She was very nice to share the different equipment usages and glass samples that have the water ripple effects.
She shared that she only uses the warm glass technique and is happy to do different glass surface experimentations with me to achieve the ripple effect but the cost price of materials and equipment is pretty heavy so I'm still considering.

After realising the option of hot-glass making is not very feasible and it's impossible to travel to China for the glass production due to the outbreak, I discussed with Andreas and he suggested me to try with acrylic and vacuum forming for the effect. He introduced me to Grant, product designer and technical officer at Lasalle 3D workshop. Grant suggested me to try creating the water droplet casing with resin. In order to create the water droplets, we need to do 3D printing and prep the silicon rubber for casting. For 3D printing, I will be getting the filament - Ecomaylene PLA 1.75mm Anti-Flash Transparent from Winrigo. For the silicon rubber and polyester, I will be getting from Wee Tee Tong.

I wanted to order more glass materials for experimentation from Taobao but due to the outbreak, they won't be reaching on time.
I went to Ikea to see there's any suitable glass for modification and inspiration. I also wanted to see how I could install the casing into the light socket or if there is an existing light source I can modify to make it pulse.


I was thinking if I could do warm glass blowing for existing glass casings but Grant advised against it as it will cause the inner bulbs to blow so I figure that we might need to go back to programmable DC LED strip. This means that even if my Taobao loots were to reach Singapore, I won't be able to modify the glass casings, only the ones with uneven surfaces may have a shot. Grant also suggested me to look for programmable fairy lights, I will be visiting Sim lim tower with Jason next to look for potential motors and led strips.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig