Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Final Light Prototype for Video and Exhibition - Part 7: Connecting to Arduino

After the installation, the light is ready for testing. I didn't pass my dad the Arduino set-up so he was unable to test if his contraption could actually work and spin at this point.

So he asked my mum to help to spin the resin case manually haha. I quite liked the shadow play on the acrylic sheets.

My dad also made sure to insert a black paper for the holder (left pic vs right pic) so the inner components won't be visible when the light is on. 
 I finally brought it home to connect with the Arduino set-up and so glad to say that it works!
However, if you look at it closely, the light is actually flickering. After troubleshooting, we realise that the contraption for resin case stand needs to be adjusted with the right tools. I will be using this for the video-shoot as it's not super obvious and I didn't want to trouble my dad too much - he will have to rework on the contraption and wiring for the light. The good thing is it is not as flickery in real-time and the motor is not noisy. The light effects produced by this resin case is slightly inconsistent, most of the time it is ripple light effects but sometimes there are twinkling stars that accompany the ripple effects. There could be 3 possible reasons for this. 1. Some inner parts in the case are not covered by the epoxy resin (I probably missed some inner surfaces) 2. The 3D print needs to have even softer curves. 3. Placement of LED light strips. I would look into these 3 potential reasons if I had more time.
This is how the 'twinkling stars' look like. The good thing is, the light effect is still pretty hypnotising.

Jason has programmed the light and spinning effect to start once sensor detects movement so the last bit to add would be the audio shield before the video shoot this weekend.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig