Sunday, February 23, 2020

Multi-Purpose Blanket Prototype #2 - Making of Add-ons

After the completion of base blanket, I moved on to the add-ons. This time, I will be focusing on, 1. Weighted packets & 2. Lavender sachet as they are the most popular options from the Design testing session.
Previously for the weighted packets, I experimented with peridot gem stones, rice and glass microbeads. I won't be choosing rice as it is not suitable for washing. I still can't find glass microbeads in Singapore and I'm unable to buy more peridot gem stones since its imported from China and they are in a lockdown, so I will be recycling the peridot gem stones and glass microbeads from the 1st prototype weighted packets.
First, I cut open all the 1st prototype weighted packets.

I took out all the peridot gemstones, glass microbeads and re-weigh all of them. Some participants shared that the weight distribution in the 1st prototype is not evenly distributed so I made sure this time they are well measured out. I also prepared the ribbons, burned the edges and sewed up the bags.
This time, each packet has 6 compartments to distribute the peridot gem stones evenly. 1st prototype weighted packet only had 2 compartments.

Each packet is 120g, I would pour in 40g of peridot gem stones and sew the first row, and continue the same for 2nd and 3rd row before sewing a middle line down. The sewing is a bit longer as I have to be extra careful to avoid the stones when sewing the middle line. I still ended up breaking 3 sewing needles to complete the 14 weighted packets.
 The last one was the lavender sachet which I used 2 layers of mesh for the lavender bits.
After I put the weighted packets together with the base blanket, the total weight is about 5kg.
Base blanket: 1.5kg
14 Weighted packets: 1.7kg
Stuffing: 1.5kg

Linda from Ryseltoys shared with me before that the ideal weight for a gravity/weighted blanket should be 10% of a person's body weight + 1 pound, for now the weight of blanket is 5kg and the participants can add or remove more weighted packets if they prefer.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig