Saturday, August 31, 2019

Results from Screen-time questionnaire and On-site Interviews

I have gotten the data from Melvin on my screen-time questionnaire. It's pretty straightforward and doesn't require much analysis. The questionnaire was done online through their mobile phones.

Sample size: 1252 for questionnaire, 121 for structured on-site interview
Age group: 15-40

Select top 3 occasions when you typically use your mobile phone / portable digital devices during recreational time.
While commuting on buses, trains, etc: 809
During meals: 435
In bed: 640
In a toilet:386
In a cinema:29
While watching TV: 260
While queuing up: 565
While exercising / working out: 105

Through which of the following formats do you prefer to learn about achieving a healthy balance for screen time? 
Short film: 504
Challenges: 478
Card/Board games: 270
Animation: 361
Interactive exhibition: 419

Which of the following activities would you prefer doing instead of using digital devices and watching TV?
Sports/Physical activities: 796
Recreational activities such as cooking, baking, arts and crafts: 502
Card/Board games: 363
Indoor playgrounds (e.g. Escape room, Trampoline parks, etc): 442
Attending Plays, Musical Performances, Exhibitions: 372
Going to Theme Parks or Places of Interest (e.g. Universal Studios, Adventure Cove Waterpark, Zoo, Bird Park): 558

Generally, what would motivate you to take on / confront a difficult challenge? Select top 3. 
Encouragement from family and friends: 675
Social Competition, out of fun: 400
Seeing potential hope & success in the outcome: 387
Challenging own limits: 246
Peer pressure: 244
Potential honour & glory: 102
Attractive rewards: 486
Sense of accomplishment: 355

What's interesting was when I was facilitating the questionnaires, I saw people checking 'Card/Board Game' then uncheck. I initiated conversations with most of them and from the interviews, these are the insights I learnt:

People were not sure of learning about achieving a healthy balance for screen time through a card/board game as they felt that it might seem too educational and prescriptive. They also think that current card/board games are outdated and mobile game apps are more popular.
When asked 'What if the card/board game is interactive and engaging? It allows you to have fun social challenges with your friends, its not like the conventional card/board game that is too educational, would you give it a chance?'

Answers that I received:
1. I guess. As long as it doesn't bore me with the typical 'It's bad to use your phones for more than blah blah hours', I'm ok to try it. - Student, 21
2. Playing a card/board game takes time, somemore if its a game that preaches healthy living, I don't know how long before I get sick of it. But if its fun and engaging, I don't mind playing with my friends. - Marketing manager, 32
3. A card/board game could be troublesome to bring around, maybe a mobile app game then I can try playing it with my friends when we are at cafes - Engineer, 22
4. If the card/board game is easy to play and educational, I will play with my kids (aged 5, 8). Otherwise it will be difficult for them to understand the game mechanics. HR manager, 37.
5. If the card game is not the typical educational approach, its not too serious, has some funny elements to it, easy to carry around and its fun to play then I don't see why not. - Assistant manager, 32
6. Even if the board game is fun, it is troublesome to bring around to places but if its a compact card game, I don't mind. - Digital marketer, 23
7. I'm ok with card/board games but if its an educational one and takes too long to play, then I'd rather choose short film and animation. - Operations executive, 28
8. Too much effort to play card/board games, I prefer to watch a film to understand. - Software engineer, 27
9. Sure, if the card/board game is fun and challenging enough. - Student, 21
10. Card/board games can be boring after awhile, everyone just sit down and play, I rather go to an exhibition with my friends. - Retail executive, 25
11. I feel that card/board game is very similar to using phones and watching TV, there's a lot of sitting and inactivity. I mean its slightly better because it exercises your mind. The other good thing about it is I can play it with friends and family. But as an athlete, I prefer doing physical activities. - Instructor, 35
12. Board game takes too long to play! And its a waste of resources with so much printing. Card game is alright but it must be exciting enough. - Sales coordinator, 28

Other interesting insights:

  • There were also people who suggested books and having workshops or talks on screen-time. 
  • When asked if they can foresee a full digital world where people hardly talk to each other, there are little social interactions and physical experiences are becoming lesser as people prefer to converse through digital spaces. People start losing their motor skills (automated cars, automated surgical robotics, etc) and tactility to many different textures and physical spaces. How do they feel about this gradual loss of touch stimuli or sensory experiences? Do they feel that tangible experiences are still important? (Meeting people face to face, snail mail, smell and feel of books, etc) The common answer is: Yes tangible experiences are important. 
  • 83% respondents feel that technology is currently replacing many physical processes that consist of uniquely sensorial / tactile characteristics, feel and value. However, 93% respondents’ share that they do not believe that backing away from technology is the way forward. 97% feel that physical values and digital possibilities should work together to create embodied experiences. 
  • When asked about current interventions such as Screen-Time Limit on mobile phones, 82% of the respondents said they have not tried it. When asked why, most of them mentioned restrictive, troublesome and ineffective, as they are less likely to keep up. When asked about the current initiatives, such as articles on ‘recommended hours of daily screen-use’, respondents mentioned words such as too prescriptive, not stimulating enough.

I will be taking these data and comments into consideration when I start my design briefs for interventions.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig