Monday, February 17, 2020

Light Experimentation - Part 13: Installing the Lights


After the assembly of the kinetic set-up and programming the LED lights for the pulsing, it's time to put them altogether.

 Andreas shared that the normal LED light strips are not as aesthetically pleasing and maybe I could look into silicone LED.
I was at National Design Centre and came across this LED silicone display by Phunk Studio, a multidisciplinary collective
 Next I went to Simlim tower to look for the silicone LED
 Found varied sizes and also bought invisible wires.
 I got the warm white and red, but decided to go with red.
 Securing the power bank, gadgets, wires and Arduino on the contraption.
Testing with 1 LED silicone, the light effect wasn't obvious but we decided to install for all to see if the effect will be more prominent.
 Testing with all.

Unfortunately, the silicone LED does not produce the water ripple light effects and we had to go back to the regular LED lights. I guess the silicone LED produce a diffused light which is not strong enough for the water ripple light effect to take place.
 This is the regular LED light we tested earlier
 Applying for the other resin droplets
It's not very obvious as captured in the video but the water ripple effect is apparent when live on-site.
Putting the set-up further away from the wall produces more apparent effects in the video. The effect is actually not bad on site. However the noise from the gears are still quite loud even with the enclosure and my cat is also not impressed.

I don't think with these sounds, this prototype is suitable for testing. The experience is supposed to produce a relaxing ambience but this set-up is pretty noisy.
I was intending to turn it into a cloud lamp if the set-up works but I don't think this kinetic light is suitable for testing now, I also don't have time to refine the gears to minimise the sound so I will be going to my back-up plan, I will share more in my next post. 
On a side note, I tested with this dripping LED light a day before I installed the red pulsing lights, the effect is interesting but I don't think it is suitable for future direction so I won't be experimenting further on this.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig